Before I get into this, I want you to know that I really spent a lot of time screenshotting and paying attention to this year’s WWDC to bring you the best of information and pictures. So expect a lot of it. And as always, I’ll break it up into various posts.
That being said, you need to catch up on my previous posts.
watchOS 6: What’s new?
Not only is the Apple Watch the #1 watch in the world (I’m being objective, I swear), but there’s finally more (new) watch faces.
The one in the last 2 pictures takes from a Mac OS Mojave concept where the display changes colour depending on your time zone!
There’s new watchOS 6 apps which you’re 100% going to love
- First we have Apple’s Audiobooks which you can listen to on-the-go.
- We finally have the inclusion of a Voice Memos app for all your recording needs.
- And last, but definitely not the least (and boy do you know how important this one is) a Calculator app for our Apple Watches. Adding to that, Apple has finally included a tip feature in watchOS 6 that calculate tips when needed and even helps you split a bill with friends!
Apple Watch App Store
You read that right.
The watchOS 6 features an independent App Store, for independent apps. No longer will we need iPhone companion apps to have them on our beloved watches.
Browse apps or find your favourites using voice dictation, Siri, or even by scribbling on your device. Purchase and install directly on your watches!
The latest in the Health and Fitness saga – Activity Trends to help you track and analyze your fitness on a long term scale. Essentially comparing your daily fitness goals on a wider level (say in the past 90 days). If you improve, good for you. If not, the app will provide simple coaching and tips to help you get back on track.
Noise App // Hearing Health
Apple’s team went on to explain that people don’t take hearing health very seriously, but Apple does. With their new noise app, you can monitor the environmental noise surrounding you. The Apple Watch will notify you when the noise around you gets too loud.
Since Apple is a sucker for privacy, they won’t record or save any audio. Ever.
Massive update for women all over the world!
The new Cycle Tracking app is a simple, discrete way to visualize your cycle, log key aspects, get notified when you’re cycle is about to begin or even when your fertile window is round the corner.
To not limit this feature only to women with an Apple Watch, Apple is releasing the Cycle Tracking feature on the Health App on iOS for all!
Availability and other features
- The watchOS 6 will be available in the fall on all Apple Watches (1, 2, 3, 4) and requires an iPhone 6s or later with iOS 13.
- Read about the Apple Watch 4 here!
- Apple has added new complications as well (the tiny things you can customize on your watch face):
- A new Audio API for developers to integrate into their apps.
- Finally recognize songs through Shazam on your watch (which you can’t currently do – Siri tells you to use your iPhone instead).
- New Apple Watch bands!
- Use the stopwatch app during workouts, spoken navigation in maps, workout summary, automatic software updates, Siri web search results, and a ton more.
So if you ask me… Yes. The watchOS 6 was definitely worth all of the hype.